accio

Monday, February 8, 2010

omnomnom!

One of the most fabulous things ever is finishing a story.

One of the most difficult things is turning around and editing that story.

I've struggled through two chapters of revisions for Fate. One of them is a complete rewrite, and it lost about twelve pages in transition. I think it's better though, but I'm always concerned about the pacing. I'm in a Fiction Workshop class and I'm using it to get criticism on Fate. I've gotten some great reviews, which is really uplifting. Obviously I still have a lot of work to do, but it's getting there. I had the best feedback ever from one of the girls, and all she said was, "It makes me want to read more." and that is so important.

One of the things that has become clear to me is that I can slow the story down. Not necessarily that I should, understand, but I could. I had mixed reviews on the pacing. I'm most concerned about the pacing in the first chapter, because in my opinion, the courtroom scene is really boring. But I had a decent number of people say it wouldn't hurt to slow it down.

And I really, really need to digress, for a moment. I'm sitting in the cafeteria on my college campus writing and there was a girl walking down the stairs who was Harleyquinne Cathors. Tall, skinny, great posture, graceful, serious. The only thing missing to make her a complete Harley was the fact her hair was all red, and Harl has blonde hair with red tips. The color of red was perfect though.

End digression. It's very exciting. I feel like I'm getting closer and closer. I'm nowhere near the place where I feel like I'm ready to submit to agents, I want to polish a lot more before then, but it's exhilarating to know that I have a product, and I'm able to sell it to readers in a rough form. Wow. Amazing.

0 secrets:

Post a Comment